The kindly contributor of this letter teased another letter out of them, continuing a risky trend of toying with these guys. The two letters follow.
From: "Chris Okonkwo"
Dr. Chris Okonkwo,
Dear (kindly contributor)
I am Dr. Chris Okonkwo, a top management staff in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and I head a seven-man tenders board in charge of Contract Awards and Payments Approvals. I came to know of you in my search for a reliable and reputable person to handle a very confidential transaction that involves the transfer of a huge sum of money to a foreign account. There were series of contracts executed by a consortium Multinationals in the oil industry in favor of NNPC among which were:
(1) The expansion of the pipeline network within Nigeria for Crude Oil
and downstream product distribution and subsequent evacuation.
The original value of these contracts were deliberately over invoiced to the sum of US$ FORTY ONE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS (US$41.5M) which has now been approved and is now ready to be transferred being that the Companies that actually executed these contracts have been paid and the projects officially commissioned.
Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account for subsequent disbursement, since we civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names. Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20% of the transferred sum, while 10% shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70% to other accounts in due course.
You must however NOTE that this transaction is subject to the following
terms and conditions:
[ those darned taxes... a thief can't make an honest living any more...]
Furthermore, Modalities have been worked out at the highest levels of the Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank of Nigeria for the immediate transfer of the funds within 10 working days subject to your satisfaction of the above stated terms. Our assurance is that your role is risk free.
To accord this transaction the legality it deserves and for mutual security of the fund, the whole approval procedures will be officially and legally processed with the name of any Company you may nominate as the Bona-fide beneficiary. Once more, I want you to understand that having put in over 26 years in the service of my country, I am averse to having my image and career dented. This matter should therefore be treated with utmost secrecy and urgency. Kindly expedite action as we are behind schedule to enable us include this transfer in the first batch of this quarter payment. Please acknowledge the receipt of this message via my direct Tel/Fax number: 234-90-403832 only.
Thank you and God less [indeed]
The kindly contributor responded and this is what they said next:
We acknowledge first and foremost with thanks, receipt of your message. Our anxiety has been allayed. We have deliberated over your acceptance. I hereby convey the approval of my colleagues that I continue discussions with you on this mutually beneficial project.
For purpose of clarity, my committee is vested with the authority to appraise and approve contracts according to the priority of the Government of the Federal government of Nigeria. By virtue of our positions we have overtime been able to uncover several over-invoiced/over estimated contracts. And through careful manipulation of these documents, secured for ourselves the sum of US$41.5M (FORTY ONE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND, UNITED STATE DOLLARS). Only which we need your assistance to transfer into a safe offshore account
We need your assistance as the funds is secured in an escrow account of the Federal Government specifically set aside for the settlement of outstanding payments to Foreign contractor. We are handicapped in the circumstances, as the Civil Service Code of Conduct dose not allow us to operate offshore accounts hence your importance in the whole transaction. Therefore, we want to utilize this opportunity as a lot of foreign contractors will be paid in this quarter of this year 2000 to transfer the funds out of the country.
Consequently, we want you to present you/your company as the beneficiary of the sum US$41.5million. for this purpose we will incorporate your company and register you as a contractor with the Nigerian National PetroleumCorporation (NNPC). We will also by virtue of our official positions secure for your company the necessary backup documentation that will facilitate the release/transfer of the funds into your account. These documents of course will be destroyed at the successful completion of the transfer. We want to assure you that your help will not in any way bring you or your company into disrepute.
In line with our wish to present this claim legally, attached is a text specimen, which you are to transcribe onto your company letter headed paper and fax back to us. Please ensure that both telephone and fax numbersprovided by you for this mutually beneficial transaction are confidential. Theinformation on the form will enable us initiate preliminary application and payment process at the NNPC, Debt Reconciliation Committee, Federal Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank of Nigeria for the immediate release/transfer of the funds.
My colleagues and I would require your personal guarantee concerning the safety availability of our share on demand when the funds is credited to your account via telegraphic wire remittance. We also need you to advice/give us information regarding likely investments in your Country. Note that if you follow our instructions regularly, we can conclude this transaction within the next 10-14 working days.
Please endeavor to observe the required level of confidentiality as we are still in active Government service. I will appreciate you call me for more elaborate discussion and for further instructions as our international dialing access has to be done through the General Communication Room in the secretariat complex, and is not confidential enough for our purpose, since it is an open line. Therefore, I will always expect your prompt response on my very confidential number 234 223 14630.
Its advisable that you call me tomorrow about the same time you sent me fax (which is about 10.00am-11.00am my time) so that we can get intimated and further furnish me with your confidential tel and fax numbers for the purpose of this transaction.
Please treat as urgent.
NB: My colleague just informed me that for transaction of this kind, it is always preferable to use encrypted transmissions for both your security and ours.
[an elaborate scheme to sign up people at hushmail? just kidding, heh heh...]
As soon as this is done at your end, endeavour to send me details of your hushmail address for further correspondence. Please note, I have prepared a detailed explanation of the entire transaction which I will send to your hushmail account as soon as you confirm your new hushmail account. Note: confirm your confidential telephone and fax number to my hushmail accountTRANSCRIBE ON YOUR LETTER HEAD
To: The Group Managing Director Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. Central Business District, Herbert Macaulay Way Abuja, Nigeria. Attn: Dr I. T. Obaseki. Dear Sir, RE: CONTRACT NUMBER-NP/PED/9753/PH-REF31C/99. SUPPLY COMMISSIONING OF 2,320 UNIT Y2K PERSONAL COMPUTER, 602 PRINTERS, 10 PLOTTERS AND ACCESSORIES FOR PORT HARCOURT REFINERY AND COMPUTER OPTIMIZATION FOR PLANTS A TO D AT PORT HARCOURT REFINERY. We refer to Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation circular number FGN/CBN/FMP/NNPC/017/02/2000 of February 18, 2000 and article 35 of the contract award schemes to all foreign contractors. We take liberty to inform you that the settlement of the above stated completed contract fell due since November 4th, 1999. By your delay we have not been able to meet our obligation to our bankers and creditors who financed the above referred project. In accordance with the aforementioned articles and all relevant amendments thereto, we hereby apply for your settlement of the contract being Forty one million Five hundred thousand united states dollars only. This represents payment due and payable to us on NNPC contract number NP/PED/9753/PH-REF31C/99. I . President/CEO of . Hereby confirm that your Corporation the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation is yet to remit our total outstanding sum of Forty one million, Five hundred thousand United States dollars only (US$41,500,000.00). Kindly remit the above total amount in full via telegraphic/electronic transfer to our bankers below: Bankers name: ............................................. Bankers address: ............................................... Account no:.................................................... Beneficiary:................................................. Attached to this application letter are copies of relevant documents relating to this contract. We wish to expedite action on this to enable us update our records with our Internal Revenue Service department and our creditors. Thanks for your anticipated co-operation. Yours Faithfully, Authorised signature & stamp. Cc: Director, Foreign Operations Department Central Bank of Nigeria. Cc: Director Project Department Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Abuja. Cc: Director Federal Ministry of Finance Nigeria. Cc: Managing Director Port Harcourt Refinery.
Do we need to tell you not to do this at home, or anywhere else?
THE FIRST 125 1. Request for Urgent Business Relationship (Alhaji D. Bayero)
2. Strictly Confidential (Dr. Andrew A. Okoya)
3. Return of Request for Urgent Business Relationship (Harriman Awele)
4. Strictly Confidential (Mr. Nat Chuka)
5. Son of Urgent Business Relationship
6. From Engr. Sadiq Dan-Musa
7. From the Tender Committee
8. Request of Busines Collaboration (Chief Emeka Chukwu)
9. Urgent Business Relationship (sigh) (Dr. Bodex Iyere)
10. Business Proposal (Dr. Stolen Name, B.Sc, M.Sc. Ph. D MNIM, MCIA)
11. Business Proposal (Dr. Pat Gbens B.Sc.,M.Sc.Ph.D MNIM,MCIA)
12. Attention President/CEO (Kayode Bello)
13. Participatory Financial Transaction (Engr. Bruno Adams)
14. Urgent and Beneficial (Dr. Usman Bello)
15. Business Proposal (Bello again)
16. Business Proposal (Egobia Jude)
17. Strictly confidential/Urgent (Bello Abubakar)
18. Yours faithfully Joe Obaseki
19. Sign and Stamp Peter Usman and Alhaji Haruna
20. Yours faithfully Mr Charles Ibru
21. From Dr. Kotoko Kassim
22. Capital Flight (Olu Jacobs/Dr shafi.L.obajare)
23. Petroleum Trust Fund (Dada Bello)
24. Confidential Business Proposal (Olamide Davies)
25. Overinvoiced accounts, yada yada [Dr. Odu Kabba]
26. The suffering masses of the Niger Delta (Kenneth Birabi [P.hd])
27. Mr. John Abah wants to give you 5% of $30.5million!
28. Usman Bello, or is it Bako ..to the tune of US$21.5M [ also Dr. Teco Aloma, Dr. Moses Ukuta, Dr. Usman Atiko ]
29. Engr. Alex Edusa, or is it Edu ..to the tune of US$21.5M (oh yeah, and Dr. Teco Aloma)
30. Life Time Opportunity from Dr. Idiamo
31. offshore account anywhere safe
32. FIFA World Youth Championship (Dr. Yussuf)
33. Urgent Business Execution (gulp) (Abu Waziri)
34. Request for Assistance (Alhaji Hassan Y. Mohammed)
35. Although this letter may come to you as a surprise... (Mr Hakeem Suleiman)
36. Although this letter may come to you as a surprise... (Dr. Hassan Ahmed)
37. Compliments of the season (Dr. Shehu Bin)
38. Trust Fund for Alms and Ammunition (Omar El-Dagash, Lukmon Idris)
39. This contract was over invoiced (Dr. Sheriff Lawal)
40. The nature of your business is not particularly relevant (Dr. Kingsley Ude)
41. We did over-inflate the contracts (Mr. Kingsley Chiugo)
42. Floating in the suspense account [Mr. Mark Yemego]
43. we will not want to miss this opportunity [Dr. Patrick Osunde]
44. Dr. Ahmed Sani wants your money (ditto Dr. Mahmud Sule, Dr. Pepple Ada, Dr. Aminu Tanko)
45. In search of a reliable and reputable person ( Dada Musa )
46. Major Hamza AL- Mustapha is currently being detained (Taiwo Adams)
47. I was to meet you in your country in the course of a government delegation (Francis Osshoma, Ph.D.)
48. capital investment [Martins Opara]
49. quote this reference number (ve/s/09/99) in all your responses [Dr. Philip Giwa]
50. My letter may come to you as surprise (Dr. Benjamin Luwa)
51. My brother Maj. Hamza El-Mustapha and his mistress in Lebanon [Col. Zaki El-Mustapha (RTD.)]
52. NNPC and Ghana liquefied gas project [ Mr. Tunde Darocha ]
53. Harcourt and Warri refineries [ Dr.El-Baba Linkon Ph.D,FNSE,mni ]
54. When I consulted the internet...your contact email came out [ Saliu Mukhail ]
55. my only hope now is this available us$50,000,000 cash ( Lady Maryam Abacha )
56. Nigerian football association, $12.8M [ Prince Adeola Hopewell ]
57. Federal Government Contract Review Panel ( Dr Paul Obi / Dr Solomon Igbo / Mr Henry Aigbe )
58. Communication via Email is insecure for this Deal [ Usman Bello ]
59. let Honesty and Trust be our watchword throughout this transaction ( Dr. Sammy Eze )
60. the safety of our various families matters most [ Usman Bello ]
61. $20M lying around going to waste [Mr. Michael Okon]
62. Nigerian Federal Ministry of Works and Housing - a measly $16.5M [Ike Olarotimi (Engr)]
63. the trust reposed in you at this juncture is enormous (DR. Okonkwo Yemego)
64. we have been reliably informed of your honesty and ability [Dr. Adams Powell]
65. Confidentiality is our watchword, mutual trust is our beacon. (Dr. Usman Bello)
66. I am Dr. Fred Ikem, king of stings. Look upon my works, ye mighty...
67. Call me tomorrow...so that we can get intimated [ Dr. Chris Okonkwo ]
68. Federal Government Contract Review Panel with bells on ( Dr. T. S. Adepipe )
69. My getting your address is the handwork of almighty God [ Dr. Henry Emeka Oha ]
70. this point of Victory, which is not too far away ( Engr. Garuba Bello )
71. in my search for a trust worthy and sincere person [ Engr. Peter Jacobs ]
72. Bello rides again: something went wrong with his Swiss bank account
73. I am a staff in the Federal Ministry of Mines and Power ( Frank Odili )
74. I was a moslem until a 18months ago when the master Jesus met me [ Audu Bamiayi ]
75. ...in preference to demanding or accepting bribes and kickbacks (Dr. D. Osayi)
76. Though my father died a natural death ( Lamin Bangura )
77. Ministry of Petroleum Resources, $30M [ Dr. Demola Johnson ]
78. oblige me details of your bank account [ Engr. Sani Muyiwa ]
79. a suitable percentage (%) will be mapped out ( Usman Tanko/Tanko Usman )
80. please keep trying till you get through ( Mr. Ben Alabi (MNIM) )
81. the operational word here are secrecy and confidentiality [ Prince Dr. Williams Amadi ]
82. Save Our Soul - 30% of $300M ( Zinab Abacha )
83. my country has no reward for hard labour and honesty [ Dr. Joseph Wayas ]
84. please treat it like a blood brother affair ( Dr. Chinaka Steve )
85. I am only trying my best not to be noticed by my government. [ Saleem Abdulsalami Abubakar, Dr., Uche J. Williams ]
86. It might surprise you why we choose you ( Dr. Jude Obi )
87. It is with heartful hope that I write [ Mrs. Anne Henri K. Bedie ]
88. this is only known to you, myself, and the widow Mrs. Maryam Abach ( Musa Muazu )
89. Nigerian Ministry of Aviation $36M [ Mr. Joe Wilson ]
90. Upon the recommendation of your goodself - 30/10/60 of $32M [ Bello Giwa ]
91. Through tenacious effort and well-expanded energy - 25/65/20 of $43.5M, hike! ( Dr. Sunday Okereke )
92. payable by solar draft or cheque in your name $17.3M [ Murtala Orinami ]
93. trustworthy businessman-qualities which are hard to find ( Mr. Paul Onyema, p.h.d Holder )
94. Of a Lori, to a Lori, Olori [ Engr. Richard Olori ]
95. Ein Ausländer, Verstorbene Ingenieur Johnson Creek ( Mr. Ade Olatude, Diplom Kaufman odudu ola )
96. Johnson Creek's hearse rides again... [ Paul Isimeme ]
97. Advise on lucrative areas for investment ($14.3M) [ Engr. Abel Ubekwu ]
98. ...the care of an obscure foreigner ( Amadi Howells ESQ / Polo Anyanwu / Estelle Djeri / Linda Akabo / Ahmed Tanko )
99. I need your assistance urgently - Orient Petroleum ( Martins Osagie / Alego Hassan ?)
100. All I request from you is a foreign account [ Dr. Ola Akins ]
101. FMPMR - a measly $18.6M ( Dr. Andrew Onyeije )
102. Bye and God Bless [ Dr. Emeka Bako ]
103. O, woe is me - 25% of $31M ( Dr. Jacob Owo )
104. That's Johnson JUAN Creek [ Rafiu Momoh ]
105. ...deep business relationship ( Dr. Rufai Garba )
106. Former chief chemist of the NNPC [ Pastor John Owo (b.Eng.Chem) ]
107. Undeclared windfall sales of crude oil, 30% of $15.5M ( Pat Uche )
108. Total ignorance of the business world, 20% of $22,054,000 (Lucky Kennedy)
109. Return of Turn Around Maintenance, 25% of $24M [ Mr. Phillip Asiodu ]
110. Thank you and God bless, 10% of $20M ( Dr Olu Cole )
111. Request for Assistance, National Economic Planning Commission, 30% of $18.36M [ Dr Paul B. Giwa ]
112. We believe that good people like you still exist in this world, 40% of $35M ( Dr Usman Musa )
113. A new life: Sweet heart, My name is [ Sanni Ahmed ]
114. My deepest prayers for you - 30% of $20M ( Mustapha Hassan )
115. I am not so vast in huge investment opportunities ( Mr. Michel Bumbo )
116. But this one is different, really! 10% of $20.1M - after tax [ John Momoh ]
117. I will not want my identity revealed [ Mrs. P. Mobutu Sese-Seko ]
118. Very urgent, please self my soul ( Susan Usman Bello / Mariam B. Wase? )
119. Mrs. Abacha gets a PhD ( ?% of $50M )[ Dr (Mrs.) Maryam Abacha ]
120. Ministry of Mines, Sierra Leone - 25% of $36.5M ( Captain Smart Ahmmed )
121. To be precise, I am David Johnson - 10% of $85M [ David Johnson ]
122. Return of Nigerian football association, some unknown % of $12.8M ( Dr. Dele Johnson )
123. Petroleum trust fund money release order - 27% of $32.7M [ Dr. Sam Okobi ]
124. Sierra-Leone Mining Co-operation, $30M (Paul Williams)
125. This is our life and I trust you with it [ Mariam Bola Wase ]